Saturday, January 18, 2014

You Know What I Love? Waiting for Rejection

Every single person has a fear of rejection, including me. Despite this, in the last month, I've submitted to several journals and lit-mags, most of which are authored and edited by high-school or college-students. I've edited and fully overanalyzed my writing. I've perused the submission guidelines, even though they're all basically the same.  (Then to make sure, I perused them again.)

Last month, I entered the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards, and so I should hear back within the next month. Now, I get to wait. I'm going to focus on writing poetry, reading, maybe editing my novel, and writing some more creative nonfiction.

Deadlines are hard, but I'm fairly certain I submitted everything on time. Besides, the worst thing that can happen is that my writing isn't accepted into these certain publications at this exact point in my life.  Writing is incredibly subjective; one person's genius is another's stupidity. Even if it all goes terribly, I'll know that I tried, that I'm much better at writing than I was even two months ago, that there'll be some cookie-dough in the fridge if I need it.

Do you have any tips for not feeling bad about inevitable rejections?

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with all these submissions! Must be nerve-wracking. Honestly, my only advice is: don't think about it! I tend to stew. I reeeally have to not think about it when I'm on submissions because it kills my poor brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks. I'm not too concerned. The worst thing that could happen is that I get a few form rejections. I'm finding that it's really hard to focus on my own goals and successes, since everyone in my online writing circles is super accomplished. I'm going to be writing about that next week.

    Besides, as much as I may not feel it, I'm still young, and I've got more time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, A Writer Girl! Comments are totally appreciated, and if you have constructive criticism, I'll welcome that too. Thanks so much for your input.