Sunday, August 12, 2012

Writing Satisfactory Endings


                Everyone hates bad endings, right? Like when you get to the end of a story or book, or even a poem, and you’re like, “That’s it?” It doesn’t matter if the rest of the story’s good –I mean, it does, but the ending’s what you actually remember. I could lie and say that I’m really good at writing endings, but that’s not always true. Honestly, this is really something that I have a lot of trouble with.

                A bad ending doesn’t necessarily mean racy or violent. To me, anyway, it means fake or unrealistic, or not very well done, like the author was just trying to finish it quickly. Nobody really wants that, but sometimes it seems like the only option. There are lots of ways to go wrong with endings, but if you do it correctly, it pays off. Here, I’m going to try to offer several solutions to potential bad endings.

                -Mull over it for a while, and come back to it. After all, writers don’t have to write 24/7.

                -Try something unexpected, something different from what you usually write.

                -Ask a friend for advice if you’re at a loss for how to make the ending better.

                -Reread what you’ve written, to get the feel of your characters, so that you can write a more honest scene.

                -Use a writing prompt to approach your story from a different angle. Put your characters into the scene and try to work with the given concept.

                *Note: sorry this was late! I meant to post it yesterday, but I was too busy until now to post it. Apparently, sleeping takes up more time than I think! J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog, A Writer Girl! Comments are totally appreciated, and if you have constructive criticism, I'll welcome that too. Thanks so much for your input.