Thursday, July 26, 2012

NextGen Writing Conference


Prepare your writing and mark your calendars: the NextGen Writing Conference starts in exactly one week, and I’m very excited. It’s the first time I’m going to it (well, can you say “going” if it’s completely virtual? I vote yes). I'm sure it’s going to be awesome. Why? There are lots of published authors who are going to help young writers, there will be talks from writing fantasy to formatting novels to proposals to editors, and it’s free! What more could you ask for?
To prepare, some of the authors are assigning optional –but encouraged- homework. For example, there are worksheets for beating resistance and writer’s block, making lists of people to whom you’ve felt an emotional connection and why, writing an emotional situation you’ve been through and putting your character in it, and getting an emotional story and then recording it as you remembered it about a day later. There’s also fantasy homework for a class on incorporating (you guessed it) fantasy, which I am doing currently. It’s kind of a lot, but I’m going to try to finish all of it in the next week. After all, it’ll help me, and hey, I have nothing else better to do. I’m also, of course, working on my own writing, being bored, et cetera. Note: being bored takes up much more time than you’d think it would. Of course, it’s quite a lot of work. J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog, A Writer Girl! Comments are totally appreciated, and if you have constructive criticism, I'll welcome that too. Thanks so much for your input.