Sunday, July 1, 2012

The end of Camp NaNoWriMo

     The June session for Camp ended last night. I was freaking out. My parents were at a Twins game, and so they weren't there to help me and/or us. I was completely on track, but of course the day when you have a project due, it's the perfect time to make gnocchi with your sister, right? Yeah, so that took about two hours of trying to rice potatoes and yelling, and then I got to clean up some dog puke and the dishwasher started leaking all over the floor, all while I was frantically worrying about completing my novel. I had almost gotten the scene planned out in my head, and after we cleaned everything up, I got to the computer and started typing maniacally.  
      Finally, I got it done. I happily submitted my novel, and got to the winner's page. There, I was greeted by a paragraph talking about my achievements, an image of a sunset on the beach, and a printable winner's certificate. It's a pretty nice way to end the week, huh? Yeah, I thought so too. Anni didn't seem very impressed though, as she flipped through various and sundry channels with a remote. As cliché as it sounds, I kind of have a secret fantasy of . . . (wait for it . . . [it's not what you think!]) writing a really awesome novel that starts with, "It was a dark and stormy night." NaNoWriMo novel this year? Perhaps. I told my extended family and some of my friends about my writing a 50,000-word novel in 30 days, so I also got to blunder my way through explaining National Novel Writing Month. People should never ask me for explanations. Never. My favorite quote was from my grandma, who replied, "Well, it gets easier after six or seven [novels]!" That made me laugh (internally, though as I didn't want to hurt her feelings), especially as she has never written a novel or any prototype, at least to my knowledge. That comment really made my day, no joke. Ah, the pleasures of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog, A Writer Girl! Comments are totally appreciated, and if you have constructive criticism, I'll welcome that too. Thanks so much for your input.